So all this civil unrest has finally made some people I know really want to get involved
with prepping. They have asked me how they should start out and what to keep in mind. In order to not overwhelm them I suggest the following as a minimum to keep in their homes. I recommend enough supplies to last them at least a week.
- Water – I store 3 gallons per person per day. Useful fact: Each 24 count case of 16.9 oz water bottles equals 3.16 Gallons.
- Food – Store what you normally eat and possibly some Mountain House freeze dried food for convenience. Make sure you try it before the emergency occurs to see if you like it.
- Portable gas stove to prep food and boil water. Get extra fuel. Open the window when cooking for air flow.
- Portable Toilet – 5 gallon bucket with seat lid. Toilet paper, baby Wipes, 13 Gallon trash bags for waste and any feminine products go inside the bucket when being stored.
- Big hand sanitizer to disinfect hands and save on water.
- Emergency AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio. Hand crank and solar powered radio.
- Headlamp flashlights and extra AAA batteries.
- Emergency lantern and DD batteries.
- External battery pack to keep phones/ipad charged for several days without power.
- Security Door brace to reinforce your door(s).
- Cash – small bills.
- Safety – Whatever weapons or harsh words you can legally use to defend yourself.